Go ahead, ask my friends – I like this movie so much that when I was younger every time I used to go on a first date it would be a deal breaker if she didn't like it. I know, I know, not cool . . . but what can I say, the following clip is one of a dozen or so that make it a classic viewing experience. As for the recipe, it's a basic beef stew that's killer on a cold day. Enjoy !
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 lbs Steak, cubed
- 1/2 tsp. ground Black Pepper
- 2 tsp. dried Thyme or Rosemary
- 3 tsp. dried Parsley
- 2 tsp. Minced Garlic
- 6 cups of beef stock
- 5 large carrots, chopped
- 3 large Yukon potatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp. corn starch + 2 Tbsp. cold water
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, melt the butter & sear steak on all sides. Add the ground pepper, thyme, minced garlic and 4 cups of the beef stock. Simmer on low for an hour, covered.
- Add carrots, potatoes, & onions along with Worcestershire sauce. Add final 2 cups of beef stock. Meanwhile in a small bowl, combine the cornstarch & 2 Tbsp. of cold water until the starch is completely dissolved & then stir it into the stew broth. Cover & simmer on low for another hour.